Structural Engineer – Civil
West Des Moines // Bolingbrook
Veenstra and Kimm, Inc. has been deeply rooted in the upper Midwest for nearly 60 years. Our engineers, planners, and surveyors have been offering a full complement of services to our clients since the company’s inception. We have prided ourselves on a high level of commitment to assisting our clients achieve their goals and making their homes a better and safer place. Our employees enjoy a flexible, relaxed work environment from which to work and grow. Access and exposure to a breadth of individuals and project types allow for both professional growth as well as personal growth.
We are currently seeking a full-time STRUCTURAL PROJECT ENGINEER to join our structural team. Our team works with private companies on commercial projects, as well as with State and Local Governments on bridge and transportation related projects. We are looking for a candidate with excellent communication, leadership and organizational skills to assist our current staff in serving our clients. Our preferred location would be in our WEST DES MOINES, IOWA office but we will consider strong candidates in our SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS or LIBERTY, MISSOURI locations. This position will collaborate with our structural team members across our organization.
- Ability to use Autodesk AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Rivet and work as a member of design team who use the same skills
- Assist Project engineers to develop draft plan drawings efficiently per technical specifications
- Ability to produce plans, elevation, section views, and other details of structures using AutoCAD
- Ability to inspect bridges, buildings, roadway projects, help the team in using inspection equipment, survey equipment and to take the field notes.
- Conduct investigation on materials on-site during construction (i.e. workability and strength testing of concrete using universal compressive testing machine and other equipment).
- Ability to study, infer and follow updated standards, policies, procedures and design memorandums per state and government norms (i.e. IDOT).
- Design concrete structures, steel structures, and PPC structures
- Ability to prepare bridge condition reports for bridges, culverts and structure replacement/rehabilitation projects, and project reports for federally funded bridge projects
- Prepare plans and specifications for bridges and culverts per IDOT Policies and IDOT design guidelines
- Analysis and load rating of bridges using AASHTOWare, RISA 2D & 3D.
- Ability to design structures using Bentley Power GEOPAK & MicroStation, Autodesk AUTOCAD, REVIT, depending on the client’s requirement
- Design of bridges using AASHTO Load and Resistance Factor Design, AISC Steel Construction Manual, IDOT Bridge Manual, IDOT Design Guides, and other IDOT policies.
- Ability to lead an in-house project under the supervision of Project Manager.
- Ability to design and produce repair plans of 50 year old structures and to estimate summary of quantities.
- Produce design plans for new bridges and repair of existing structures using Bentley Power GEOPAK, MicroStation for IDOT.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or related
- At Least 12 Months of Experience
Veenstra and Kimm, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected class.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer