Human Resources Generalist
West Des Moines // Dubuque
Veenstra and Kimm, Inc. has been deeply rooted in the upper Midwest since 1961. Our engineers, planners, and surveyors have been offering a full complement of services to our clients since the company’s inception. We have prided ourselves on a high level of commitment to assisting our clients achieve their goals and making their homes a better and safer place. Our employees enjoy a flexible, relaxed work environment from which to work and grow. Access and exposure to a breadth of individuals and project types allow for both professional growth as well as personal growth.
We are currently seeking a full-time HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST to work from any of our 10 office locations with preference being in our DUBUQUE or WEST DES MOINES, IOWA office locations. The Human Resource Generalist performs duties at the professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, training, employment, affirmative action and employment equity program, and benefits management.
This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization. The generalist must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill and the business needs.
We have contracted with ADP to perform most of our Human Resources administrative tasks. This position will be the point of contact with ADP.
The Human Resources Generalist is an exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer. This position will consult the executive team to guide strategic Human Resources initiatives.
- Maintains all employee and applicant documentation as dictated by governing agencies.
- Assists with recruitment tasks as needed (reviews applications, interviews, career fairs).
- Acts as an employee relations specialist.
- Maintains employee personnel files.
- Maintains, updates and distributes the employee organizational chart and phone list.
- Coordinates with ADP to ensure compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification; periodically audits Forms I-9.
- Distributes and monitors employee performance evaluations and ensures they are done in a timely manner (i.e., three months, six months, one year and yearly thereafter).
- Assists with the salary adjustments process.
- Manages and tracks all employee disciplinary action.
- Coaches, counsels and guides managers before executing employee disciplinary actions.
- Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
- In coordination with ADP, reports, maintains and monitors all workers’ compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- In coordination with ADP and accounting, monitors employee eligibility for benefits plans. Reviews benefits with employees and processes enrollment, cancellation, or changes. Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process. Maintains and distributes list of new and cancelled employees under each benefit plan. Verifies benefit billing accuracy and processes for payment.
- Coordinates with ADP, the administration of COBRA for group health plans.
- Maintains and coordinates employee recognition programs.
- Assists with onboarding and offboarding tasks.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related degree.
- 3-7 Years’ HR experience.
- Strong initiative and solid judgement abilities/skills.
- Excellent communication and personal skills.
- Team player with the ability to establish collaborative working relationships.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM -CP) (preferred)
- Knowledge of HRIS, specifically ADP (preferred)
Veenstra and Kimm, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected class.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer